1. Do I need to purchase a standard wall control?
All fans include a wall control in the box.
You can control up to 2 DC fans on a circuit with the supplied wall control.
If you have a 20amp circuit you could control up to 12 fans on one Wi-Fi touch panel wall control (this is not the supplied wall control)- this is an industry game changer!
2. Will my Modern Forms Smart Fan sync with any smart home devices?
Will currently work in conjunction with Nest, ecobee, Alexa, Google Assistant and Samsung SmartThings. Others will be added as they become available.
3. Can I use my cell phone to control my Modern Forms Smart Fan?
Yes! You may control your fan via your cell phone’s internet connection from anywhere around the world with our “free” app. Once downloaded and fans are configured to the App, internet connectivity is no longer necessary for local operation. For increased security requirements, you may disconnect the Wi-Fi network from the internet and your app functionality will work exclusively through your secure local Wi-Fi network.
4. Will my fan have receiver/interference problems like most DC & AC motor fans?
No. Modern Forms control system was designed with infinite codes that are randomly generated with each fan having a unique identifier. This will prevent cross-talking on residential and large commercial projects.
5. Why choose a DC motor fan over an AC (Alternating Current) model?
DC motors run cooler and quieter and use up to 70% less energy than an AC motor. Only DC motor fans can be efficient enough to pass the newest Energystar requirements.
6. Where does the receiver mount?
Our receiver is located within the ceiling canopy, not inside the motor housing. This prevents interference and allows for access to the reset button on the receiver without taking the fan down off of the ceiling.
7. How does my fan handle power surges and dirty power?
More robustly than typical DC fan models on the market. We enhanced the input of the control system to handle power surges and dirty power efficiently.
8. Who designed and manufactured the RF wall control and smart fan control systems?
Modern Forms utilizes proprietary technology controls invented and manufactured by WAC
9. Does my DC motor fan make clicking noises and shake like my brand X DC motor fan?
No. However, some momentary rocking back and forth is natural for sensorless DC motor fans during start up and reversing between summer/winter mode. There should be no clicking or noises.
10. What is Winter & Summer Mode, I hear this a lot but don’t know which way the fan should run?
First you can control reversing from the wall control or the App.
Winter Mode: Pull air up to the fan and circulates it along the ceiling and down the walls to redistribute the warm air that hovers around the ceiling. This should allow for a saving in heating costs.
Summer Mode: Pushes air down from the ceiling to create a wind-chill effect. Fans do not change the temperature in the room, they change the comfort level by changing the perceived temperature.
11. What is the color temperature (CCT) and color rendering index (CRI) on Modern Forms Smart Fans?
Not all fan models include a light. All lights included are 3,000K true white and 90 CRI for exceptionally natural rendering of colors.
12. Can I control my fan(s) from my iPad or Wall panel?
Once you have downloaded the Modern Forms App you can use your smart devices (Android or Apple) iPad or our handy Wall-mounted Touch Screen to control all of your fans.
Perfect for showrooms to tell our story, or for property managers in hospitality, and commercial applications.
13. Can I cut the downrod for my customer’s specific length?
All Modern Forms Smart Fan downrods are threaded on the motor end and the other end is cuttable. This end can be easily cut and drilled for your customer’s desired length.
14. What are the different colors of wires on the back of the RF wall-control connect to (all leads are marked with labels)?
White wire connects to neutral wires in the wall switch box.
Green wire connects to the ground wires in the wall switch box.
Black wire connects to the hot power coming into the wall switch box.
Where required by local codes, the Red wire can be connected to the power lead going to the ceiling fan to provide an easily accessible local circuit breaker to the fan motor.
15. What is our warranty on the stainless-steel models v. the regular wet rated models?
Stainless steel finish warranty is lifetime under normal use to the first non-dealer purchaser. All other finishes are one year.
16. Are you working on Apple Home Kit integration?
We will publicize any new integrations as they become available.
17. Are you working on integrating with Lutron’s system?
Not at this time. This is something we are considering for the future.
18. What is your warranty for fans that corrode in salt areas?
MF fan warranty is one year on finishes and parts, 5 years on the LED module where applicable, and lifetime for the motor and Stainless Steel components under normal conditions. Some discoloration should be considered normal wear under harsh environments.
19. Are your wet-rated fans anti-corrosive/weather resistant?
Yes. Modern Forms Smart Fans exceed the requirements of ETL Wet Location ratings. Fan blades are made of ABS plastics or weatherproof wood. Most of our fan bodies are aluminum (instead of the industry standard steel) finished with a durable powder coat or wet paint process to withstand any normal wet rated ceiling fan environment. Our Liquid Nickel finish is sealed multiple times with clear powder coat to withstand normal wet location applications.
20. What is your exact WET rating?
ETL WET rated.
21. Will your fans work out of the box in a 220V application?
No, Modern Forms Smart Fans are designed to function with 120v input power.
22. Are your fans 50 or 60 Hertz?
23. As you update technology, existing fans can get automatic updates is this correct?
Yes, you will be able to receive upgrades through your app for new functionality as it becomes available provided the improvement doesn’t require a hardware upgrade.
24. Can you share or limit access to the fans using the App?
Yes, you can share and limit access to the ability of controlling fans with other users through the fan App.
25. What is the general warranty for all Modern Forms Smart Fans?
Limited Lifetime on the fan motor.
5-year warranty on the LED components.
1-year on standard finishes and components.
Limited Lifetime Stainless Steel finish.
26. Are Modern Forms Smart Fans rated for outdoor applications?
All Modern Forms Smart Fans are WET rated. You can hang any fan inside or outside.
27. What are the lumens for the lights?
Lumens range from 1,110 to 2,100. That is comparable to light from one or two bare 75W incandescent lightbulbs.
28. Who manufactures the LED lights?
All lights are designed and manufactured by WAC an industry leader in LED Lighting technology.
29. What lengths do the downrods come in?
Downrod models include a 4.5” or 6” downrod in the box.
Additional Downrods are offered in lengths ranging from 12” to 72” in length.
Carbon Fiber downrods are only offered in lengths up to 36”.
30. Are the downrods threaded on either end?
All downrods are threaded on the motor end only to allow for field shortening to custom lengths.
31. What slope will the fan work at out of the box?
All Downrod fans use a hanger bracket mounting system which will allow for up to a 30° angle.
A sloped ceiling kit is available for pitches up to 45°.
32. What is the lead wire length on Modern Forms Smart Fans?
All fans include 80” of lead wire length.
Flush Mount Fans (Huggers) leads are 8”.
33. What are the fan finishes made from?
With the exception of Liquid Nickel (which is sealed multiple times), All finishes are Premium Powder Coat finishes or Painted finishes.
42” and 52” Wynd models are offered in 316 marine grade Stainless Steel.